During the early 1970s I attended Liverpool University, where I studied electrical engineering. In 1977 I joined the Open University, working first as an editor and then, from 2001, as a lecturer.
As an editor I worked on courses produced by the Technology faculty, with occasional secondments to Arts courses. During this time I gained an Open University degree.
Currently I am a lecturer in the Mathematics, Computing and Technology faculty. I have contributed teaching material to the courses TA225 The Technology of Music, T175 Networked Living, A870 MA in Music, T324 Keeping Ahead in ICT and T325 Technologies for Digital Media.
In 2010 I completed a part-time PhD at the Department of Science and Technology Studies, University College London, entitled 'Speaking of Science: BBC science broadcasting and its critics, 1923-64'.
Telecommunications; history and sociology of science and technology.
Musicology, music journalism, walking, cycling, philosophy, and French language and music, photography.
Please click here for all research publications
- Oxford Illustrated Encyclopaedia Volume 1 (revised 1992): revisions to existing articles and new articles on mathematics.
- Oxford Children's Book of Famous People (1994): Fourteen entries on scientists, and revisions to other entries.
Articles for Classical Guitar:
- 'Michael Tippett' (Jan./Feb. 1984, pp. 29-30)
- 'Elliott Carter' (Nov. 1984, pp. 23-25)
- 'David Starobin' (Nov. 1985, pp 15-17)
- 'The Viennese Connection' (The Guitar in Vienna) (Jan. 1989, pp 35-39)
- 'An Elgar Curiosity' (Nov. 1990, pp. 14-16.)
- 'The Judgement of Paris', Parts 1-5 (Aug, 1998, p. 24-30; Sept 1998, p. 22-27; Oct 1998, pp. 20-27; Nov. 1998, p. 16-21; Dec 1998, p. 24-28.)
- 'Duo Variations' [interview in Paris with Aubert Lemeland (composer) and Alain Prévost (guitarist)] (Dec. 1999, pp. 24-27)
- 'Albeniz Brought to Book' [interview with Albeniz biographer Walter Aaron Clark] (April 2000, pp. 30-34)
- 'Poulenc's Sarabande', Parts 1 and 2 (May 2000, pp. 18-22; and June 2000, pp 16-23)
- 'Regino Sainz de la Maza', Parts 1 and 2 (August 2000, pp. 20-24; and September 2000, pp, 50-53). Republished on CD-ROM by SIRS (Mandarin) Incorporated, 'SIRS Renaissance', Spring 2001.
- 'Ferroud's Spiritual: A 1926 piece for Segovia comes to light' (October 2001, pp. 14-19).
- 'New Grove and the guitar' (July 2001, pp. 50-53).
- Pierre de Breville's Fantaisie (January 2002, pp. 16-20).
- Cyril Scott's Sonatina (January 2002, pp. 32-34).
- Lennox Berkeley's Quatre Pieces Pour La Guitare, Parts 1 and 2 (February 2003, 18-21; and March 2003, pp. 18-23).
- 'Angelo Gilardino' (February 2004, pp. 24-28).
- 'Raoul Laparra's Cuadros' (June 2004, pp. 28-32).
- 'Tony Morris and Classical Guitar Alive!' (August 2006, pp. 35-39).
- 'Guitars at 2LO' (February 2007, pp. 35-37; March 2007, pp.22-24).
- 'Segovia at the BBC' (April 2007, pp. 18-21; May 2007, pp. 26-29; June 2007 pp. 26-29; July 2007 pp. 26-29).
- 'Lionel de Pachmann's Exotismes' (November 2008, pp.24-27).
- 'Warlock, Dowland and Segovia, parts 1-3' (May 2011 pp.24-29; June 2011, pp.16-19; July 2011, pp. 16-20)
- Scarlatti Keyboard Sonata K481 arranged for flute and guitar (pub. Thames Music, 1981)
- 'Les Plaintes d'une Poupée' by Caesar Franck, arranged for solo guitar, Les Cahiers de la Guitare, no. 78, spring, 2001.
- Pierre de Breville, Fantaisie (1926) for solo guitar, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, April 2002.
- Henri Collet, Briviesca (between 1921 and 1924) for solo guitar, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, April 2002.
- Fernande Peyrot, Thème et Variations (193...) for solo guitar, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, April 2002.
- Cyril Scott, Sonatina (1927) for solo guitar, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, April 2002.
- Pierre-Octave Ferroud, Spiritual pour la guitare (1926), Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, May 2002.
- Federico Mompou, Suite Compostelana para guitarra (1962), Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, May 2002.
- Federico Mompou, Cancion y Danza (sobre dos cantigas del Rey Alfonson X) para guitarra (196..), Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, May 2002.
- Henri Martelli, Quatre Pièces pour guitare op. 32 (193..), Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, May 2002.
- Aloys Fornerod, Prelude op. 13 (192..), Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, September 2002.
- Hans Haug, The Complete Works for Solo Guitar, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, October 2003.
- Jaume Pahissa, Tres Temas de Recuerdos, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, October 2003.
- Raoul Laparra, Cuadros, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, January 2004.
- Raymond Moulaert, Suite pour Guitare, Edizioni Musicali Bèrben, Ancona, Italy, 2006.